Friday, May 2, 2008

You guys are awesome!

A big THANK YOU to all of you out there in blog-land who have posted hopeful and encouraging remarks on our blog in the last month or so... after I've posted two marginally cranky posts in a row, I owe you guys a lot for your uplifting comments. I especially appreciate all of you granting me "permission" gripe and moan a bit about how things are going (or NOT going, as seems to be the case here...)

So here are a few tidbits of good news:

First, CHI (our agency) opened a new region today! They're now working in the Karaganda region. Of course, the first thing I did upon hearing that news was jump on Google and check out who else has adopted from there. Sounds like a cool place. I'd be totally happy to be our agency's "guinea pig family" and be the first from CHI to travel there. Who knows? :^) Hopefully, opening another region will speed things up a little bit?

Second, the CHI families who are in country (or currently between trips) have apparently had smooth travels and smooth experiences (not many of them currently have public blogs). I'm so grateful for their good experiences!

I don't have any idea when our big exciting phone call will come in, and yes, the wait time has started to make me pretty cranky at times. But I came across an awesome quote from II Corinthians yesterday: "We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair..." I was reading an essay that quoted this passage from Paul. The author of the essay described the apostle Paul as the biggest "cheerleader" for the early struggling Christians... and he sent this quote in a letter to the Christians in Corinth to encourage them during trying times. So I'm trying to live up to this quote... the frustration and sadness threatens me, but I'm going to choose not to be distressed... I'm perplexed by MANY, MANY things about the adoption, but I'm choosing not to be in despair.

I've been thinking about how blessed I've been - with many aspects of my life - but particularly recently - great husband, great job, great colleagues at my office. Last year, I led my last study abroad for a while, and I've been reviewing pictures and videos from that trip. So I thought I'd share a few pics from my last abroad to New Zealand in 2007 (my "farewell" to study abroads before taking on parenting.... but my abroads were really what taught me about parenting in the first place! I've had fabulous students on my trips!):

Here's me, right before hiking up a glacier (one of my favorite parts of the trip):

And here's my 2007 group up on the glacier:


A photo from part of the trail on the Milford Track, a 33 mile backpacking trip we do in southern New Zealand... a fabulous place... it gets nearly 21 FEET of rain there per year and last year, we had 2.5 sunny days out of 4. Amazing!
Students on a swing bridge during the trek:



Me and a student, contemplating the overlook called "12-second drop" (i.e. how long it would take for something you dropped to hit the valley below... it's a looooong way down!):

One of the very few sunny days at the top of the Milford Pass... that's my group of students, milling around on the lookout...

(Oh my gosh, can you imagine anything more beautiful????)

A kea, a mountain parrot, on the roof of our hut during the trek (and yes, he's turned his head completely upside down):



Below, the most amazing view imaginable: dolphins surfacing in front of your sea kayak on a gorgeous sunny day in New Zealand:

I miss New Zealand!




14 comments:

kitzkazventure said...

We really should meet some day on one of our trips thru St. Louis. Last time, we met up with the Segebarths in Lebanon so I will put you on the list for our next Kaz meeting! I think I told you before that I grew up in North County (Ferguson). My husband is a prof. here in Ky and he went on a fabulous trip to NZ right before we started dating...you guys could compare pics....he has some similar ones to yours!

We were in the Karaganda Region and REALLY great kids come from that region! ha! I am praying that things progress at lightning speed now! karen

Catalina said...

Ok, so this was a trick for me. When I checked the blog and I saw the mountains pictures I was thinking you came back from Smoky Mountains, but then wait, this is too early.... So you are still waiting for the phone call.... Your pictures are great, so much fun, soon you will have to say bye bye hiking for a while :). I I was in a hiking club when I was in Romania, I just love it.

It is great your agency opened a new region, I am sure you will travel faster. I dont want to upset you, but I just feel your dossier is waiting since forever.
I love the quote. We always have so many reasons to be thankful for, and dont get discouraged. But waiting is still hard, isn`t it?. Now, I am the one who is complaining.....

Aaron and Julie said...

The Corinthians verse is a good one to cling to. I'm glad to hear that CHI is now working in another region and that current experiences of families have been good!! We are waiting anxiously for you to get the call, too :)

New Zealand has been on my list of places to go for a long time. I have met many friends who are from there and I would almost move there in a heartbeat without even visiting first ;)

McMary said...

HI Chrissy and Russell,
I have had the same feelings as you regarding the long wait with CHI and I am also very happy about the news of Karaganda opening up for them. Hopefully this is only good news for us.
YOu are so wise to focus on the blessings in your life--just know there will be more in the future.

Amy said...

Hi Chrissy! (/NZ Mama!) I've been keeping up with your blog for a while now because I'm so excited to hear about your experiences when you finally have your Kaz baby. I'll always remember the conversation we had about it in the van, driving down the NZ coastline. Though I'm years away from becoming a mom, I want you to know how much your story--your courage and patience especially--inspires me!

I think adoption is one of the most incredible things you can do in this world today, to help a parentless child see the expression of Father-Mother Love. I can't wait until I can adopt too!!

You're sweet-as. I might see you when I come to visit Prin in a week...have a fun Spring!! :)
- Amy Mizell

Susan said...

Chrissy-you have never really postd a cranky post, my dear. You are always positive and sweet and even your cranky posts aren't cranky. :)

That is GREAT news about Karaganda...there are SO MANY CUTE KIDDO'S from there! I have read many a blog from cuties from there. I am so excited for you-and this is indeed great news. :) Even better news that families have had great experiences.
I love the bible verse you quoted. We went away this weekend to a family church retreat. I really needed it .I was getting so upset/frustrated/sad/anxious about the unknown, the wait, if would ever happen, the age rumors, you name it, I was frettin about it. I was having a hard time falling asleep even. We met some new families, and adoptive families at that! Hearing their stories was so uplifting, and it really gave me a new perspective (one that was really, quite frankly, much needed). The wait is hard, the unknown is hard, but we can put our faith in God, it will all work out. I can't go all into the stories and a very inspiring sermon a woman gave because blogger would explode,but suffice it to say, it gave me peace.

Good thing, because it doesn't look like we're going this summer like I hoped we would. But hey, that'd be too convenient with Sean out of school and all ANYWAY. :)

I loved your photo's..wow, incredible!! You are SO right. You are truly blessed in your life, and your patience will be rewarded with your own Kazakstani cutie. :)

Thanks for the positive uplifting post.You're a great gal, who has been a great blog friend, a great teacher to many,and will be a GREAT MOM!! :)

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Great news about the new region and more possibilities--- hopefully an expedited travel date, too! The pictures of New Zealand are exquisite, so pristine looking. I have always wanted to go there, but for now, I'll just have to live vicariously through your pics. Beautiful!

Karen said...

Awesome photos. Please post more when you get a chance.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Those are beautiful pictures!!

Unknown said...

How old do you think our kids will need to be to fully appreciate a trip to NZ? What do you say to a "best of" trip with our families in the not-too-distant future? We could rent a motorhome and go back to all of our favorite places--I have quite a list. Could an eight-year-old do the Milford Track? We could do it the cushy way ... nah. But absolutely no swims with dolphins or sea-sick-fest-whale-watching. I'm serious. Let's plan on it!

Tricia said...

Those pictures of New Zealand are incredible. Just take yourself back there in your mind each time you need a lift :)

Mike and Pearl - said...

Just came across your blog- I can understand how it feels...we're adopting in Kaz too, and our dossier has been submitted to the Embassy since Jan 08 but no word yet. Since yours is already registered with the MOE, your LOI should come soon. It wont be long now, hopefully. Another encouraging verse is Isaiah 43. Read it when you get a chance, I'm hold on to God's promises in these verses. Keep pressing on...your baby will be home soon!

Julian and Sara said...

New Zealand is awesome!! Or at least that's what my friends who have been there tell me. It is a trip that is still in my future. Some day. Your photos are great!

Glad to hear CHI has added a region. I do believe the number of regions has a significant impact on the wait time.

On a different note, I am sharing your blog with my cousin who lives in St. Louis who has a friend who adopted from Kyrgyzstan who expressed interest in knowing of others who adopted from the same region. (Phew) I immediately thought of you since I love your blog. Hope you don't mind.

Good luck with the continued wait.
Sara

Brian and Patti said...

We just returned from Karaganda a few weeks ago with our beautiful son! Daniel is such a happy little guy! I cna't believe how lucky we are to have him in our family!!

Although we had a lot of internet issues and were not able to make daily posts like we would have liked to, you may find some useful information in our blog (ababychangeseverything.blogspot.com)

Good luck! We will be following along on your journey!