Wednesday, May 7, 2008

New Goats! New Goats! New Goats!

We bought more goats for the college today!!! We expanded the goat herd by three new babies today, putting them to work on controlling shrubs and invasive species next to our prairie plots on campus. The new ones are about 4 months old, Boer/Nubian crosses. Here are some pictures of the new babies:

A goat on the go (we brought them home from the farmer's place in a dog crate):



New kids in their new neighborhood, checking out all the cool stuff to eat:

They came from a farm with a short grass pasture and had been raised on goat chow... so all this green stuff was totally fascinating! They eventually gathered around a really big oak tree and nibbled on the bark.

One new baby was born with no horns... we're thinking of calling her "Baldy"... or "Nubby"

These are our two older goats, Mata (in foreground) and Buko (background), hanging out under their summer shelter (it was raining) and checking out the new additions. They weren't sure about them AT ALL.... There was a little head-butting at first. I'm sure they'll be working out the "pecking order" for a little while.

Here's everybody under the shelter, still checking each other out...

So cute!!!! Sometime in the last year or so, I have obviously developed a fondness for goats. I was a little wigged out by the thought of starting this project at first, but one of my students, who comes from a sheep ranching background in Montana, really helped talk me into it. And I'm glad we did it... they do an amazing job on the weeds and shrubs around our prairies! We're also fortunate enough to have student workers who can go feed and water them. But now I've got other folks in the region calling me for advice with how to start a weed control project with goats! Somewhere along the line, I seem to have become the local "Goat Woman" (which is bizarre, because I am a total novice at this and am still nervous about the idea of caring for livestock... I worry about them all the time (ask my student workers and our land manager, who oversees them... I'm constantly asking if the shelters okay, if they're getting enough to eat, etc, etc.)


6 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Hey!!!! I like those New Kids on the Block!!! Very cute! Hang in there Christy!!! Still rooting for you guys!

Susan said...

Way cute goats! And hey, I just heard that goats milk is good for kids. You can use that to feed your Kaz kid! :)

Catalina said...

Those goats are so cute, I like especially the brown one. My grandmother had goats and I loved going spending my vacations in the little village with many farm animals around. They are so funny, very talkative and playful and especially the lambs are too cute :).

Unknown said...

Wow Chrissy!
I have been keeping up the hope and the love for you along the way and I just know your perfect kiddo is just getting ready for you two. I admire your strength during all of it indeed!
I just love the goats and what you are doing with them as well. Sorry to be missing out on that adventure out there. I just met a big herd of Alpacas and a couple of llamas last weekend and had a blast.
I would love hear about the local adventures as well and catch-up. Miss you bunches!
Melody

Regina said...

Hi goat woman! We actually love goats and have always wanted a baby goat for our back yard. Don't think the neighborhood association would approve though. I love goat cheese too...yum!

Just wanted to say hang in there and be strong. Don't feel bad for feeling grumpy. I've was feeling pretty grumpy myself until this week. Trust that it WILL come.