Monday, May 12, 2008

New Kaz Books

Just a quick post for all you fans of Kazakhstan...

I ordered two books from Amazon that came in the mail today. One was "Apples are from Kazakhstan"... it's a just-published travelogue by Christopher Robbins... looks interesting.

The other is called "Kazakhstan" by Dagmar Schreiber. It's a travel guide with details about accomodations, etc... nowhere near as detailed as the Lonely Planet's Central Asia guide... BUT... it's got gorgeous photos (and tons of them!), plus excerpts from famous literary figures in Kaz history, plus info about treks you can take that are off the beaten track... it's really cool. And the writing is fun, too... here's an excerpt (the first two lines of the entry on "Karaganda"):

"A remarkable, spherical thorny plant named 'karaghanik' grows in the central steppe region of Kazakhstan. It comes to life in stormy weather and whirls over the plain like a horde of rabid hedgehogs. Karaganda owes its name to these plants."

I love this!

5 comments:

Julian and Sara said...

I just started reading "Apples are from Kazakhstan" and am liking it. I don't get a chance to read as much these days so I'm not far into it, but so far so good.

Diana said...

I also just started reading "Apples". The way it is written is a little different, but I like it.

Susan said...

I have Apples too. It is different, but i've liked it. I haven't gotten very far.

i am hoping you hear some news real soon!! :)

Catalina said...

I will order them too, not sure when I will get chance to read them :)

McMary said...

I have just gotten both of those books also--haven't read them yet but the pictures in "Kazakhstan" are lovely.