Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Still here...

Hello blog friends,

I am still here, still alive and kicking. Been avoiding the blog for a while... I'm really a pretty private person, and it's weird enough to be sending thoughts about my life out into the blogosphere...It's been a long couple of weeks here in Waiting-For-LOI-Land... and still no news... so during the past couple of weeks, I have been operating under the mantra, "If I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I had an encouraging phone call from my social worker a couple of weeks ago. His suggestion (which is a great one) was "Live your life." Meaning, don't live on pins and needles, waiting for an imminent phone call. This is, of course, easier said than done (although my SW is an adoptive dad, and I'm sure he remembers the waiting time, too!).

So I'm trying to live my life, but there are some things that just end up being affected anyways.... I'm skipping my annual week-long field trip next week to the Smoky Mountains with my botany class because there's no cell reception at the campground where we stay, and I thought that a week was too long to be away from the phone. :^(
I've been teaching most of my classes as though I perhaps won't be here towards the end of the school term... getting student projects started early, etc. Thankfully, the schedule this term is pretty flexible.

So I'm TRYING to be patient, but I still feel like I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for something HUGE to hit me. The question is, how long can you sit on the edge of your seat before your butt falls asleep and you start squirming around impatiently? How long before you hop up and start pacing around the room? How long before you start jumping up and down and yelling randomly? :^) I think that all of us waiting parents-to-be ought to have some kind of stress-reliever get-together, where we can ping off the walls and scream and laugh until we cry about what a bizarre process international adoption really is....

'Til next time...

12 comments:

Steph and Dusty said...

I can identify with all of your feelings. You are ahead of us by a few months so it would be hard live your life as normal because the call can come at anytime. I hope you get your LOI soon. We are thinking about you all and wishing you the best. Dusty and Stephanie Baker

Susan said...

Yes, we all try to live our lives. We dont have much other choice. However, it's not easy. It's not like we're preparing for a small trip somewhere close .It's a LONG trip on ,um, the other side of the world. I'm trying to live my life, too.
I am making plans for the last day of school. We're going to Universal Studios for 2 days staying at the Hard Rock Hotel (special florida resident rates) with some other mom's and kids. It will be fun. I'm excited.
We're also going on a 4th grade field trip to St. Augustine. That will be fun too. So, May is taken care of. Then June comes. I want to sign up Sean for summer camp for a week away. But, it's $350, non refundable. Will we be here? We dont know.

I'm just glad we all have each other, because truly, I don't think any of my other friends understand. I know they try to, but they don't. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Somedays it's easy, other days, just plain ole frustratin!!!

I hope you hear very soon. You've been waiting a long time.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

You are allowed to complain and be impatient, really- it is completely natural. It is unreasonable to expect yourself to just sit there and wait patiently for an indefinite period of time. Get yourselves prepared mentally to go, but try and enjoy yourselves in the meantime. Go see movies. Go out to dinner. Sleep in. Bum around on your couch in your pjs one morning. I wouldn't trade Rylie for the world, but those are all things I miss. Hoping for an LOI soon!!!

Tricia said...

We have been putting things on hold since January, so we know what you are feeling. Maybe take a spur of the moment weekend away where you still get to do something fun, but aren't away for a week without phone contact. It might lift your spirits to get your mind off of the waiting game even for a short period of time.

Sara and Justin said...

We know exactly how you feel. We've been putting our lives on hold too. I think the hardest part is not knowing. If they told us it would be next April, it would be hard but we could work toward that. It's not easy to "live your life" when there's a big hole missing from it and it's waiting in another country.

Amy said...

Complain away - that is what we are here for - to support you no matter what. I complained so much on my blog that it was a weekly occurance. Don't worry about it. Let's face it you have a right to complain at this point. We all understand and admire you for lasting so long - I for one know that you have def earned your AP stripes.

McMary said...

A stress reliever get together would be a great idea if only we were closer to each other. I guess that is what our blogs are for because no one but other PAP's can totally understand.
I am squirming, screaming, and jumping right along with you right now and I will be jumping and cheering when you get your LOI!

Catalina said...

Chrissy, your SW advice is great, but as you said much easier to say than be done! This waiting seem to never end. I am again waiting for my travel time and it feels more difficult than ever. I am trying to keep busy, but still....Spending my time at work, with friends, shopping for the babies and waiting for the call...
Maybe you should go in the trip if is not too many days. Really, try to enjoy life and do everything what you feel like, the phone call will come. Even if they call you, there will still be at least 7 days until you travel.

dnd82001 said...

Please never feel like you should explain your feelings - especially to this group - we are all in or have been in the same situation in one way or another!!

The only thing I can say is we keep trudging along.....the call we'll come and you will get it - remember this day and age - CELL PHONES imagine people who did this years ago - what did they do - never ever leave home - most likely (sad but true right!) so yes we have a little advantange. Treat yourself and enjoy yourselves - you so rightly deserve it and no you won't miss that call!!!

Smiles & hugs,
We are all here holding your hand to get you through this rough patch!!

Darlene

Karen said...

Sorry to hear that you're still waiting. And how maddening it must be. And you have every right to vent. But the sad fact is, in Kaz not many children are available for adoption. Incredibly, at our son's preschool in Uralsk, only 5% of the children were off the registry and available. So what will become of the other 95%? Talk about waiting--what do these kids have to wait for?

lisa said...

so nice to meet you guys and thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I am thrilled with the amount of support that I have received through my blog.

Hope to hear that you get "the call" very soon!!
Lisa

Children's Hope International said...

I am so rooting for you guys and hope every time I visit to see news of a referral. It sounds like your students and your activities with them bring you a lot of joy. What a blessing while you are waiting for this blessing.

Wishing you all the best,
Jennifer N.