Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Embassy/Consular Hold-Up

I know there has been lots of conversation and worry in the last couple of days about what's going on at the Kazakhstan Embassy and the Consulate in Washington DC and New York. (For those of you who may have missed it, the embassy is temporarily suspending its processing of dossiers for adoptions from Kazakhstan, pending a review of adoption procedures). This does not affect our adoption process, personally, since our dossier made it through the embassy stage last July, but my heart goes out to all those who are just starting the process and whose files are with the embassy. If there are any blog lurkers out there who are in that position, please know that we are thinking of you and hoping this resolves itself quickly! I know how heart-breaking and frustrating things like this can be... believe me. We made the decision to adopt 3 years ago this week, and our ride has been a definite roller coaster. The only thing I've learned for sure is that nothing is ever sure or easy in international adoption.

From what I've been able to gather, it sounds like Kazakhstan is wanting to review their procedures and make sure they're doing what's best for their children. If this is the case, I can only commend this - it's a good thing. But it sure doesn't make things easier for those who find themselves stuck in the process.

So, if you're affected by this and you're reading this post - Don't give up! Hang in there! And here's hoping for a quick and positive review by the Kaz officials.

2 comments:

Lori @ Five of My Own said...

As one of those parents stuck in the DC emabssy, I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words. I have been following your blog for a while and we are wishing you a smooth journey to your child.

Sherri & Tim said...

Hi, Glad to know you won't be slowed by the DC Embassy. I'd been thinking of you both. Would love to chat since we're STL neighbors! Hoping for good news for you soon!

Sherri
Jacob- Adopted from Kaz 7-07