Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tagged!

Hey! I was tagged... not once but twice! The rules for this game are as follows:

1. Link to the person who sent this to you and leave a comment on their blog so their readers can visit yours 2. Post the rules on your blog 3. Share 7 strange/weird facts about yourself 4. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, linking their blog 5. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

My only problem is that the only blogs I read are other Kazakhstan adoption blogs, and it looks like everyone has played this game already! I'm not sure there's anybody left to tag! Bummer!

Oh well... here are my 7 weird things:

1. I grew up in the military (dad was in the Air Force) and we moved every two years, on average. I went to 11 different schools (including 3 different high schools). I've lived in the US, the Azores Islands, and Germany.

2. And speaking of Germany, a friend and I were once locked in a castle tower in Germany. Our cries for help went unanswered for about an hour and finally my friend and I decided to figure out how to pick a lock. We were successful. :^)

3. I once sat on the roof of the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

4. Over the years, I have had 4 giant millipedes as pets, ranging from a nearly 13-inch long female named Millificent the Magnificent Millipede to a skinny little guy, only about 8 inches long, named Slim.

5. On this day, one year ago, I was petting fuzzy little leaves on New Zealand edelweiss plants along a trail leading up to Aoraki, the highest mountain in New Zealand, while my students took their midterm exam (by trying to identify plants, birds, rocks, etc. along the trail).

6. I get really excited by really cold weather. The coldest I've experienced is -40 degrees, while leading a wolf-watching trip to Yellowstone National Park. (Did you know that -40 is the same on the Celcius and Fahrenheit scales? It's where the two scales converge! Cool!) Anyways, when the temperature hit -40, I ran outside in my long underwear and jumped up and down with exitement! (And quickly learned that -40 will freeze your lung tissue almost instantly!)

7. I've climbed to the top of a 14,000 foot mountain in Colorado! (Even though lots of my friends have peaked numerous 14'ers... I'm still proud of my ONE 14'er!)

Hmmmm..... now who do I tag???? Who's left in Kaz blogland? I'll have to search...

(PS. Does anyone know why blogger continues to double-space between my paragraphs, even when I go back to edit the post and delete the extra spaces continuously????)
(PPS. Hey! I just noticed that on my poll on the sidebar, someone just voted for us to get "the call" this week! Thanks for the vote of confidence! :^)

8 comments:

Gretchen said...

Wow I'm impressed. I am such a wimp when it coms to cold weather. You have no idea how happy we were to wait and travel to Kaz in the summer. I hope you get the call SOON!

kitzkazventure said...

Wow, What a great life so far and it will only get better. My husband has been to New Zealand and he promises to take me some day! We did a bunch of travelling before Nick and we are glad we did....looks like the next 15 or so years will be busy! ;) I hope you get the call soon because you will absolutely love Kaz in the winter....we definitely got close to that minus 40 in Zhezkazgan!
I liked your "research" post re: what you were doing in the lab...my husband is a researcher and it sounded familiar! ;) I am from St. Louis....maybe we can get our kids together some day when we are visiting friends!
Karen Kitzman
http://kitzkazventure.blogspot.com/

Catalina said...

Now I completely understand, Kazakshtan was not a random choice for you. We have several things in common: I hate moving (I had to move 7 times in my life), I love to travel and I think edelweiss plants are just wonderful. I remember a field full of edelweiss plants, in the mountains, close to my grandparents` house. It was so beautiful.

Catalina said...

Now I completely understand, Kazakshtan was not a random choice for you. We have several things in common: I hate moving (I had to move 7 times in my life), I love to travel and I think edelweiss plants are just wonderful. I remember a field full of edelweiss plants, in the mountains, close to my grandparents` house. It was so beautiful.

chris blaine said...

that was me for this week I really hope that it happens soon. hope everything is going good other than that

Soon2B4 said...

Hi--I'm new to the Kazakhstan adoption blog--actually, I'm just now switching from Vietnam to Kazakhstan. I hope you hear something this week. Best of luck to you!
http://soon2b4.wordpress.com/

Regina said...

You are quite the adventurer! I'm impressed. I think parenthood will be the most exhilirating adventure of all -- even more so than 40 below temps atop the world's tallest mountain!

Best,
Regina
www.ruopoliadoption.blogspot.com

Julian and Sara said...

It is fun seeing what everyone posts in the game of tag. I too love bugs, snakes and other creepy crawlies. And all sorts of plants as well. The more I learn about them, the more I realize how incredible they are. And the more I realize just how little I know.

I sometimes have the same spacing problem with blogger but have no idea how to fix it. I usually just mess around for a while and it eventually works itself out.

Looking forward to news of your LOI this week! ;)