Thursday, February 14, 2008

Baby Gift!

I got the most fabulous, unexpected baby gift in the mail this week from my friend Lisa. For one of her very first knitting projects, she made a gorgeous baby blanket out of rich raspberry-colored cotton yarn. I totally love it! I'm so impressed! I'm such a novice knitter - I've never made anything bigger than a hat. This blanket is terrific! Here it is, over the edge of our crib, with all of our little kiddo's stuffed critters gathered around to admire it...
Lisa, thank you thank you thank you! I really needed a bit of a baby "pick-me-up" this week. (By the way, just so the WORLD now knows this... Lisa Jean was a Prom Queen.) (That has nothing to do with this topic or this post... but has everything to do with a long-standing inside joke that I just KNOW Lisa is really enjoying right now.) :^)

On the adoption front, there is mixed news. After a marathon phone call to my wonderfully supportive agency coordinator early this week, I decided that I would go back to work during the next school term (which starts April 1st). It is so hard to predict when we might be traveling. I just didn't want to risk taking another school term off on some kind of leave, and then NOT traveling until summer. So I put myself on the schedule for teaching courses next term, and BOOM! One of my agency's clients who has VERY similar paperwork dates to us gets an LOI (yesterday). Her travel dates are Feb. 25 to March 13. She got 12 days' notice! Wow!

I realize that this means next to nothing in terms of a predictor about when we'll travel. (For those of you not as embroiled in Kaz adoption as we are, the invitations to travel don't go in chronological order. In other words, it's not always "first come, first served" with this process.) But it's encouraging to think that other clients of our agency are starting to move through the process again (after a big lull with the holidays, etc.).

Stay tuned...!

6 comments:

Susan said...

Love the blanket from the prom queen! What a cool gift!

That is exciting news from your fellow adoptive friends that got their LOI!
You never do know what will happen. I hope it happens when you want it to. I was very happy with our dates of May, June, or July, but who knows if that will happen. I hope so, but we don't know. :)

Hang in there! :)
LOVE THE PROM QUEEN BLANKET!

Catalina said...

This blanket is a very nice present, I also love the baby`s room colors, it looks so warm and sunny!
This is so true you can never know when is going to happen, but what I learnt from our experience: never make any plans - just take everything as it comes, be patient, try not to have too many expectations, and be ready! They can call you anytime! I hope we will have good news soon!

McMary said...

I feel exactly like you do with the waiting--it was very exciting to hear that Chris got her LOI and makes me wonder how fast my process will go. I am with the same agency but my paperwork is a little later than yours.
It is so good to know some one from our agency is going.
I noticed the "our World" picture in your nursery and I love it--I have it marked as a favorite on my computer because I have been meaning to order it. I just love it.

Regina said...

What a pretty blanket! And it's so nice to have something with lots of sentimental value I'm sure. (My mom crocheted two for our child-to-be and they are priceless! I have photos on our blog.)

Kaz is so unpredictable lately. It's so frustrating, but you just have to keep telling yourself to be flexible and not allow your hopes to get to far ahead of you. Easier said than done. :-)

Regina
www.ruopoliadoption.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Beautiful blanket—very cozy looking nursery, your baby will just love it.

I too had no idea when we'd travel. In fact, I figured all those pesky Parliamentary bills along with our expired documents would put us in limbo land. Then, boom, we got our LOI. So hang on, because it comes at you fast.

Kim said...

I too love the blanket and the "our world" picture you have. I need to get it, it has both countries we adopted from, Kaz and Russia. Very cool.