Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Still Waiting...

I'm still sitting here, trying really, really hard to be patient (see my previous blog entry). Our dossier is technically still sitting on the desk of someone at the Ministry for Education in Kazakhstan, but I find myself wondering where it is, really... is it in a file somewhere? Literally on a desk? Collecting dust? Is someone's coffee cup sitting on top of it? Did the people who evaluated it like our photos? Did we look acceptable? (Someone told us that some of the officials like books in the photos, and we took some of the photos of ourselves in front of our whole WALL of bookshelves... we are total book packrats! I hope that makes us look smart! :^)



I had a total "light bulb moment" the other day, when I realized that the next phone call we get from our agency will be telling us what region we'll be traveling to... and the only reason we'll be assigned to a region is because there's a child there that fits with what we requested in our dossier (under 18 months, boy or girl). So that means that when the phone call comes, the Kaz officials have technically identified a child for us. (To those of you waiting on Kaz adoptions, this may seem like a "No DUH!!!" moment... but I don't know why the reality of this hadn't sunk in until last week.) Russell and I grew up in the military... I sort of felt like we were awaiting our next "orders"... the Kaz government was telling us which "duty station" to report to. But really, it's all centered around a child... an actual child. Hopefully, OUR child.

So despite my strong attempts to be patient, and despite all the lovely stuff I wrote in my previous blog entry (which I still stand by!!!), I'm still obsessively counting the days and wondering when The Call will come in. I'm also obsessively counting days that would come AFTER the phone call comes in. I'm hoping that we travel in December or early January. If we push it much further than that, then my maternity leave runs out and I'll have to come right back to teaching full time immediately after we come home with the kiddo. Sigh.... so I'm still wrestling with moments during the day when I want to SCREAM! (Is it okay to admit this, after my previous gratitude post? :^)

Russell and I have been joking about this. We've decided to start a list:

You Know You've Been Waiting for THE CALL for Too Long When:

1. The phone rings and your heart lurches. (We live on a college campus, and the phones here have a special ring that signals an off-campus, long-distance call coming in... my heart definitely lurches for those rings...)
2. Your spouse calls you while you're at work, and you answer the phone with "What??? What have you heard?" (At which point your spouse apologizes because they're just calling to talk about what we should fix for dinner....)
3. People in your office pop by while you're in the middle of grading papers or something and say "Have you heard anything?" and you have to pause and figure out what they're talking about... because a) if you HAD heard anything about the adoption, you probably would have run screaming down the halls about it by this point and wouldn't be calmly sitting at your desk grading papers, and b) they might be referring to something else entirely, and if you respond with adoption-related stuff, they'll think that yet again, you are obsessing about the adoption (which, of course, would probably be right).
4. You're counting the days since your last phone call to your social worker, asking about the progress of your dossier, since you put yourself on a schedule: "I will only call Jeff once every two weeks... I swear!"
5. You find yourself admitting to the world (via a public blog) all the insane things you're doing and the weird thoughts running through your head while you're waiting for The Call.

Thanks to all of you who've been emailing with supportive ideas and comments! I'm sure you could add your own items to our list!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Chrissy: I am keeping my fingers crossed tight for you two. I really think you should have heard something by now. Also, in addition to waiting on a child that fits your request to be available there is the fact that depending on what agency you are with sometimes there is a slowdown that happens because they only deal in certain regions. Lets say your agency goes to only three regions in Kaz. And those regions have two families there now and four waiting, before you. And they need to schedule a coordinator, driver, translator for you and the agency realizes that if they send you now they will be overbooked and not have the in country staff to help all the clients they have in that region so they need to wait until the schedule opens up. I hope I made sense. This is another reason for a bit of a slowdown that has to do with your agency and scheduling more than the Kaz gov.

Sandi said...

I know exactly how you feel, believe me. This part of the waiting is so difficult. I have been assigned a region but no LOI in sight. I honestly think my hold up is 1) my daughter to be is not ready for me 2) another family is their so I need to wait until the coordinator, driver etc is available for me. Either way it makes the waiting really difficult. Hang in there I feel the next set of us will be sent soon.

Sandi wattie21@cfl.rr.com
journey2kazakhdaughter.blogspot.com

Aaron and Julie said...

Hmmmm, we can totally relate - your list sounds like ours :) Yes, it is perfectly okay to want to scream at times...:)

We are praying for your child and the region that he/she is in to be revealed soon!!

Monica said...

Hey -- just wanted to say thanks for mentioning that Rody Pony. I was not familiar with that toy but after your words and researching it a bit we decided to buy one for our 16 month old son for Christmas. I'll let you know in the New Year how much he loves it. We chose the same color as yours.
:)

Gretchen said...

chrissy, i was totally cracking up reading this. i wish i could see you running and screaming down the halls of the science center when you DO get "the Call." i'm so excited for ya :)

KMartin said...

Hi. This post was absolutely fun to read because we are feeling the same emotions. Our dossier was supposed to have been released from the MFA on November 8 and we've heard nothing since. So the list could be us as well. Very sad when things don't progess as quickly as we wish they would.

Matthew Ruley said...

I hear you! Every day seem to get longer than the day before don't they? I got a mug that says "No News Yet, yes its taking a long time, thanks for point that out" and it made me feel better.

Waiting is hard, and actually talking to friends and co-workers in person is just as hard if not harder. I hope it gets easier, everyone says that its worth it in the end, like labor I suppose!?

Matthew Ruley said...

I keep checking in to see if you have news. Suz